The legend of Tant Sannie se Melktert started in the Karoo where everyone loved her secret recipe (sweet crispy crust, Bella die Koei se melk, condensed milk and cinnamon sprinkled for that final aromatic touch). The legend came to life when Oom Dawie added a splash from his secret decanter and they both became legends at the market store.
Now Tant’ Sannie se Melktert cream liqueur in partnership with SMEG is giving away the incredible prize of kitchen appliances to the value of R30 000.00! All you have to do is channel your inner chef and use Tant’ Sannie as an additional ingredient to your favourite recipe.
Inspired by hot summer days and my love for all things ice-cream I created this decadent Sundae to give you some inspiration!
Tant’ Sannie Sundae with Home Made Caramel
60ml Tant’ Sannie se Melktert
200ml fresh cream – whipped
For the ginger biscuit crumble:
120g ginger bscuits
2 tbsp melted butter
For the caramel:
½ cup sugar
3 tbsp butter
¼ cup Tant’ Sannie se Melktert
Chocolate to garnish/cinnamon sticks to garnish
- Place the sugar in a heavy based pan/saucepan and allow it to melt completely slowly over medium heat, stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. it will firstly form clumps then turn a dark amber colour
- Slowly add the butter and mix to incorporate about 2-3 minutes, a whisk helps as it can separate
- Slowly drizzle in the Tant Sannie liqueur while stirring, as the liqueur is cooler than the caramel it will rapidly bubble when added
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool so that it thickens
For the Sundae:
- Whisk the Tant Sannie into 400ml of the frozen ice-cream slowly so that it does not become too liquid – you want a thick milkshake like texture
- Whisk the cream to stiff peaks
- Make your biscuit crumble by placing the biscuits and melted butter in a Nutri Bullet or small food processor and blitz to a fine crumb
- To assemble, glaze each glass well with the cooled caramel, then layer starting with the ginger crumble, then spoon some ice-cream, followed by the ‘milkshake mix’, continue until all is used, then top with whipped cream and a spoonful more of caramel, garnish with grated chocolate and a cinnamon stick.
#LipLekLekker #SAFavourite #RecipeChallenge